New Student Orientation
Welcome to New Student Orientation within the Bumpers College:
We are excited that you will be joining us in the Fall semester and cannot wait to meet you. As online orientation is new to us all, we continue to strive to provide our family friendly atmosphere to help meet you where you and your family are in this journey.
To better frame the College portion of orientation we wanted to provide some information to help keep you on track. Please watch the College Presentation and take some time to review the required things to be completed prior to your advising meeting. These few steps will insure that you are aware of the multitudes of opportunities within the College, that we are all on the same page, and that you are set up for success from day one. Please take note of any questions you may have. We look forward to discussing these with you during your advising session and/or anytime you feel the need to call.
Please do not hesitate to reach out to us about the orientation process or questions and concerns that you may have. You can reach us by phone in the Bumpers College Student Services Office, Monday thru Friday, 7:30am-5pm at 479-575-2252.
We welcome you to the Bumpers College Family, as the Class of 2024!
Items You Must Review Before You Can Enroll:
Other Helpful Items:
In an effort to insure we are able to assist as many people as possible during summer orientation, as quickly as possible, we are offering special “Bumpers College Student Services Help Desk” hours to answer any questions that students and parents might have. You can reach us at 479-575-2252.
Weekdays between 10:00 a.m. and 2:00 p.m. we will have extra individuals manning the phones and answering emails. We realize we will not be able to answer everyone at once, but we will respond to your call or email as quickly as possible the same day.
Anyone can ask a question. Here are some common concerns we generally see:
- Are you a student with an advising question and you do not know who to ask?
- Have we received all of the information needed for your scholarship?
- Are you a parent with a question regarding your student’s situation?
- Are you worried about the time it takes to get across campus to a class?
- Are you interested in the Honors Program?
- How do I turn in required paperwork?
To help better serve students and families we are providing break-out sessions each day of new student orientation from 2-3 p.m. through Microsoft Teams. This is an opportunity to ask additional questions and get guidance from the leads within the Bumpers College areas of our Honors Program, International Programs, and Scholarships & Financial Aid in a face to face format.
Please note that these are open forums for general questions and/or concerns. For questions that deal with personal information, please call the Help Desk to best connect you to the appropriate individual.
+1 479-431-0936 United States, Fort Smith (Toll)
Conference ID: 994 908 28#
Bumpers College New Student Orientation Presentation:
- Watch the Bumpers College New Student Orientation Presentation
- If you have not done so, please log-in to your UARK email account and start checking
- You should receive a scheduled advising meeting invitation from your academic advisor approximately one week prior to your orientation date.
- Please complete the Pre-Advising Form at least 48 hours prior to your scheduled appointment.
- Activate your UARK Student Account.
- Change your UARK Password.
- Save your password somewhere besides your computer for quick access (e.g. Cell Phone).
- If you are unable to access your account even after updating your password, contact the IT Help Desk.
- Please log-in to UA Connect: uaconnect.uark.edu
- When logging in to UA Connect, remember your user ID is the same as your email (e.g. email@example.com) and the password is the same as the one you set for your email.
- Please click “Notifications”.
- You will notice that there are Holds and To-Do’s.
- Please address any Holds and/or To-Do’s by clicking on each item and following the prompts provided.
- Hold’s will stop you from being able to enroll, while To-Do's are something that need to be addressed as soon as possible.
Completion Plan Hold requires your input for removal.
- Please take some time to review the policy prior to your advising appointment, as it is the first thing that will be addressed.
- Please note that you will not be able to complete the enrollment process until this has been completed during your schedule meeting.
- We currently have no students in the Bumpers College pursuing the 8-SDCP and encourage you work one-on-one with your advisor to guide your program.
- Arkansas Act 1014: 8-SDCP Policy.
- While in UA Connect:
- Please click “Manage Classes” and select “Fall” term.
- You have been pre-enrolled into Fall classes by your Academic Advisor based on:
- Your previous concurrent college/AP/IB classes completed that we have received.
- Your specific program/degree requirements listed in the UA Connect Degree Audit.
- If you have received course credit that is not listed in the degree audit, please let your Academic Advisor know when you meet.
- Concurrent credits require you to contact the institution where you earned the credits (not your high school) requesting an official transcript to be sent to the UA Registrar’s Office.
- AP/IB credits will need to be requested from College Board to be sent to the UA Registrar’s Office.
- How to submit transcripts/credit: UA Registrar's Office.
- If you know a class will need to be changed due to external time conflicts, classes
previously completed, etc., take a moment to look at your options in UA Connect and
be prepared to discuss possible changes with your advisor.
- Click “Manage Classes”, “Schedule Planner”, and then follow the prompts for Fall Undergraduate.
- A tutorial is provided in Bumpers College Technology Help, below.
- Please be aware that UNIV 1001 University Perspectives is required. You have been placed into the specific sections with other students within your major. This class will not be changed unless you are swapping into AFLS 1023H-Bumpers College Honors University Perspectives.
- This is an opportunity to meet with an academic advisor one-on-one to discuss your Fall class schedule, but also an opportunity for you to ask questions and to learn about your degree requirements.
- We understand and value the family involvement in the college journey, however, during the virtual advising session, we ask that only you attend on your own. This is the first step to taking ownership of your academic career. We do encourage that you watch all the orientation videos with your parents so they can understand your academic requirements as well.
- Please make a list of questions your parents and you have for your advisor. We encourage you to share what you learned with your parents, after your advising appointment. This will help begin conversations that are valuable to your academic experiences.
- Your advising appointment will take place using Microsoft Teams (Free Download in Bumpers College Technology Help).
- This format allows us to see one another, but also allows us to share our screen with you.
- Your academic advisor will send your appointment time approximately five days prior to your scheduled orientation date.
- Please be prepared to accept your advisors call to your computer promptly at your scheduled time with your computer in front of you, logged in to UA Connect.
- For Microsoft Teams to work appropriately, please make sure that you have a working microphone and camera in place. Additionally, you must have your UARK Email Account set up.
- If a phone conversation is needed in place of a Microsoft Teams meeting, please reply to your academic advisors email as soon as you receive the meeting request to work out the accommodation.
- A note will be sent to you after the appointment highlighting the discussion and any contacts needed for follow up.
- If you have further questions after the appointment, please reach out to your academic advisor directly or call the Bumpers College Help Desk.
- If you miss your appointment, please contact your advisor to reschedule promptly.
- Please Note: If you are not advised during the new student orientation session you will be dropped from all pre-enrolled classes for the Fall semester.
- Bumpers College Path to Success (PDF)
- Bumpers College Involvement Opportunities (PDF)
- Bumpers College International Programs Flyer (PDF)
- Bumpers College Student Services Contact Information (PDF)
- First Year Parent Tips (PDF)
- Bumpers College Scholarships and Financial Aid (PDF)
- Other Campus Resources/Contacts (PDF)
- U of A New Student & Family Programs
- Razorback Survival Kit
- Free Microsoft Teams Download: https://agritech.uark.edu/help_support/knowledge_base/microsoftteams.php
- Bumpers College Computer and Technology Suggestions (PDF)
- UA Connect and Schedule Planner Tutorial (PDF)
- UA Connect FERPA-3rd Party Release (PDF)
- UAConnect Student Homepage Overview
- Enroll in a Class in UAConnect
- Drop or Swap a Class in UAConnect