New Student Orientation
Welcome to New Student Orientation within the Bumpers College:
We are excited that you will be joining us next semester and cannot wait to meet you. As orientation is new to us all, we strive to provide our family friendly atmosphere to help meet you where you and your family are in this journey.
To better frame the College portion of orientation we wanted to provide some information to help keep you on track. Please watch the College Presentation and take some time to review the requirements needing to be completed prior to your advising appointment. These few steps will ensure that you are aware of the multitudes of opportunities within the College, that we are all on the same page, and that you are set up for success from day one. Please take note of any questions you may have. We look forward to discussing these with you during your individual advising appointment and/or anytime you feel the need to call.
Please do not hesitate to reach out to us about the orientation process, questions, or concerns that you may have. You can reach us by phone in the Bumpers College Student Services Office in the Waldrip Student Center (AGRI-205), Monday thru Friday, 8 a.m.-5 p.m. at 479-575-2252.
Welcome to the Bumpers College Family!
Items You Must Review Before You Can Enroll:
Other Helpful Items:
Please do not hesitate to reach out to us about the orientation process, questions, or concerns that you may have during this transition to college. You can reach us by phone in the Bumpers College Student Services Office in the Waldrip Student Center (AGRI-205), Monday thru Friday, 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. at 479-575-2252 or email@example.com.
We realize we might not be able to answer everyone at once, but we will respond to your call or email as quickly as possible the same day.
Anyone can ask a question. Here are some common concerns we generally see:
- Are you a student with an advising question and you do not know who to ask?
- Have we received all of the information needed for your scholarship?
- Are you a parent or guardian with a question regarding your student’s situation?
- Are you worried about the time it takes to get across campus to a class?
- Are you interested in the Honors Program?
- How do I turn in required paperwork?
Major or Program Specific Questions?
Ryan Cox (firstname.lastname@example.org 479-575-6849)
- Apparel Merchandising & Product Development
- Food, Nutrition & Health
- Human Nutrition & Dietetics
Jody Davis (email@example.com 479-575-7758)
- Academic Records
- Environmental, Soil & Water Science
- Food Science
- Poultry Science
Melinda Dunlap (firstname.lastname@example.org 479-575-6951)
- Agricultural Business
- Birth Through Kindergarten
- Hospitality Management
- Human Development & Family Sciences
Lucas Simmons (email@example.com 479-575-6641)
- Academic Advising & Student Retention
- Agricultural Education, Communication, & Technology (and Ag Leadership)
- Crop Science
- Exploring Students (Undecided)
- Horticulture, Landscape & Turf Sciences
- Transitions Academic Program
Vicky Watkins (firstname.lastname@example.org 479-575-2121)
- Animal Science
Heather Parks (email@example.com 479-575-2596)
- Bumpers College Scholarships & Financial Aid
Dr. Lisa Wood (firstname.lastname@example.org 479-575-6770)
- Bumpers College Honors & International Programs
Isabel Whitehead (email@example.com 479-575-3345)
- Bumpers College Honors & International Programs
Bumpers College New Student Orientation Presentations:
- Watch the Bumpers College New Student Orientation Presentations
- If you have not done so, please log-in to your UARK email account and start checking
- You should receive a scheduled advising meeting invitation from your academic advisor approximately one week prior to your orientation date.
- Please complete the Pre-Advising Form at least 48 hours prior to your scheduled appointment.
- Activate your UARK Student Account.
- Change your UARK Password.
- Save your password somewhere besides your computer for quick access (e.g. Cell Phone).
- If you are unable to access your account even after updating your password, contact the IT Help Desk.
- Please log-in to UA Connect: uaconnect.uark.edu
- When logging in to UA Connect, remember your user ID is the same as your email (e.g. firstname.lastname@example.org) and the password is the same as the one you set for your email.
- Please click “Notifications”.
- You will notice that there are Holds and To-Do’s.
- Please address any Holds and/or To-Do’s by clicking on each item and following the prompts provided.
- Hold’s will stop you from being able to enroll, while To-Do's are something that need to be addressed as soon as possible.
- Completion Plan Hold requires your input for removal.
- If your MMR (Shot Record) is not on file, please send it to Pat Walker Health Center email@example.com prior to your advising appointment.
- The 8-Semester Degree Completion Plan Hold requires your input for removal and will be completed at your advising appointment.
- Please take some time to review the policy prior to calling We currently have no students in Bumpers College pursuing the 8-SDCP.
- Arkansas Act 1014: 8-SDCP Policy.
- While in UA Connect:
- Please click “Manage Classes” and select “Fall” term.
- You have been pre-enrolled into Fall classes by your Academic Advisor based on:
- Your previous concurrent college/AP/IB classes completed that we have received.
- Your specific program/degree requirements listed in the UA Connect Degree Audit.
- If you have received course credit that is not listed in the degree audit, please let your Academic Advisor know when you meet.
- Concurrent credits require you to contact the institution where you earned the credits (not your high school) requesting an official transcript to be sent to the UA Registrar’s Office.
- AP/IB credits will need to be requested from College Board to be sent to the UA Registrar’s Office.
- How to submit transcripts/credit: UA Registrar's Office.
- If you know a class will need to be changed due to external time conflicts, classes
previously completed, etc., take a moment to look at your options in UA Connect and
be prepared to discuss possible changes with your advisor.
- Click “Manage Classes”, “Schedule Planner”, and then follow the prompts for Fall Undergraduate.
- A tutorial is provided in Bumpers College Technology Help, below.
- Please be aware that UNIV 1001 University Perspectives is required. You have been placed into the specific sections with other students within your major. This class will not be changed unless you are swapping into AFLS 1023H-Bumpers College Honors University Perspectives.
- This is an opportunity to meet with an academic advisor one-on-one to discuss your Fall class schedule, but also an opportunity for you to ask questions and to learn about your degree requirements.
- We understand and value the family involvement in the college journey, however, during the virtual advising session, we ask that only you attend on your own. This is the first step to taking ownership of your academic career. We do encourage that you watch all the orientation videos with your parents or guardians so they can understand your academic requirements as well.
- Please make a list of questions your parents or guardians and you have for your advisor. We encourage you to share what you learned with your family, after your advising appointment. This will help begin conversations that are valuable to your academic experiences and keep everyone in the loop.
- Your advising appointment will take place using Microsoft Teams (Free Download in Bumpers College Technology Help).
- This format allows us to see one another, but also allows us to share our screen with you.
- Your academic advisor will send your appointment time approximately one week prior to your scheduled orientation date.
- Please be prepared to accept your advisors call to your computer promptly at your scheduled time with your computer in front of you, logged in to UA Connect.
- For Microsoft Teams to work appropriately, please make sure that you have a working microphone and camera in place. Additionally, you must have your UARK Email Account set up.
- If a phone conversation is needed in place of a Microsoft Teams meeting, please reply to your academic advisors email as soon as you receive the meeting request to work out the accommodation.
- A note will be sent to you after the appointment highlighting the discussion and any contacts needed for follow up.
- If you have further questions after the appointment, please reach out to your academic advisor directly or call the Bumpers College Help Desk.
- If you miss your appointment, please contact your advisor to reschedule promptly.
- Please Note: If you are not advised during the new student orientation session you will be dropped from all pre-enrolled classes for the Fall semester.
- UA Connect and Schedule Planner Tutorial (PDF)
- Free Microsoft Teams Download: https://agritech.uark.edu/help_support/knowledge_base/microsoftteams.php
- Bumpers College Path to Success (PDF)
- Bumpers College Involvement Opportunities (PDF)
- Bumpers College International Programs Flyer (PDF)
- Bumpers College Computer and Technology Suggestions (PDF)
- First Year Parent and Guardian Tips (PDF)
- UA Connect FERPA-3rd Party Release (PDF)
- Bumpers College Scholarships and Financial Aid (PDF)
- Other Campus Resources/Contacts (PDF)
- U of A New Student & Family Programs