HESC Curriculum Minutes -- March 14, 2012School of Human Environmental Sciences
Curriculum Meeting Minutes
March 14, 2012
Voting Faculty Present: Kelly Way, Kathy Smith, Cindy Moore, Glenda Revelle, Tim Killian, Laurie Apple
Guests Present: Jody Davis and Lona Robertson, Nick Anthony
Ex-Officio Present: Mary Warnock
Call to Order
Meeting was called to order at 1:05 p.m. by Kelly Way, chair of the committee.
1) Review and Approval of Agenda – The agenda was emailed to all members. Glenda Revelle moved to approve the agenda as presented. Cindy Moore seconded the motion. The motion carried.
2) Approval of February 8, 2012 Curriculum Meeting Minutes – Minutes were emailed to all members. Kathy Smith moved to approve the minutes as presented. Laurie Apple seconded the motion. The motion carried.
3) Old/Unfinished Business
1) Program change form for GHES was voted on at Faculty Council in January and passed on to UCPC, but is back now. UCPC approved the change, but it came back to HESC due to lack of approval by the Provost. This program change must be adjusted to comply with Act 747 and resubmitted. Kathy Smith made the motion to accept removal of four (4) hours from electives for the GHES Program Change. Cindy Moore seconded the motion. Mary Warnock made the comment that this is a cognate program and that it had many more electives than were needed. She felt that taking the extra four (4) hours from the electives was a logical move for this program. Lona Robertson stated that this is a good time for an overhaul for all curriculum areas. There is a task force being formed to study this situation. Jody has gotten syllabi from Journalism to be ready to start. It has to be decided what changes will be required on the college level. All favored the motion. This was presented as a 1st and 2nd reading, as it had already been passed earlier by the faculty.
4) New Business
a) HRMN –
1) HESC 3604 – Major Change, Separate into HESC 3603 and HESC 3601L. The HRMN and DIET students would take this. HRMN would only take the HESC 3601L class (no DIET students would enroll in this.) This would be effective Spring 2013. The pre-reqs of HESC 2112 and HESC 2111L would be removed. Cindy Moore moved to accept the changes as noted. Laurie Apple seconded the motion. All approved the motion for a 2nd reading.
2) Program Change – This is required to change the science requirement to 8 hours of state minimum core. Cindy Moore moved to accept the changes as noted. Laurie Apple seconded the motion. All approved the motion for a 2nd reading.
3) Act 747 – The plan for HRMN to comply with the Act 747 requirement is to remove HESC 2112/2111L from the curriculum, along with 1 hour of electives. Cindy Moore moved to accept the changes as presented. Laurie Apple seconded the motion. All approved the motion for a 2nd reading.
b) DIET –
1) HESC 4233 – This class is the Childhood Obesity class, which will only be offered in the summer. There are no pre-reqs and enrollment from a variety of disciplines is encouraged. Glenda Revelle made the motion to approve the additional class as presented. Cindy Moore seconded the motion. There was no discussion on the matter. All approved the motion for a 2nd reading.
HESC 5233 – This is the graduate level class for Childhood Obesity. Laurie Apple moved to accept the additional class. Kathy Smith seconded the motion. It was discussed that Cindy Moore would need to include the GRAD level requirements in the Objectives and Content for this class. This should be presented at the next Curriculum meeting. All approved the motion for a 1st reading.
c) APST – Had nothing to present
d) HDFS –
1) HESC 2413 – Family Relations – This is a minor change. This is a clean-up item. The change would remove the phrase "On-campus and web-based delivery sections are offered". This would help reduce confusion about the delivery method for this class. Tim Killian moved to approve the change. Kathy Smith seconded the motion. All approved the minor change.
2) Great Plains – There was a list of 11 classes that will need to be added to accommodate the Great Plains. These are graduate level courses that are a part of the GERO program. Course numbers have not been assigned yet, but all will be 3 hour courses. Glenda Revelle made the motion to accept the changes. Cindy Moore seconded the motion. It was noted that the classes must have an instructor of record on the U of A campus. The discussion about the numbering sequence for the classes began. Jody Davis noted that maybe the old IDES numbers could be used for the classes, as IDES is no longer a part of our School. All approved the motion for a 1st reading.
e) Act 747 – Kelly Way stated that the areas need to get together to discuss
how each area is going to accommodate this.
The next meeting is scheduled for Wednesday, April 4 at 1:00 p.m.
Kathy Smith made the motion to adjourn the meeting at 1:50 p.m. Laurie Apple seconded the motion. All favored the motion.