HESC Curriculum Minutes -- Feb. 8, 2012School of Human Environmental Sciences
Curriculum Meeting Minutes
Feb. 8, 2012
Voting Faculty Present: Kelly Way, Kathy Smith, Cindy Moore, Glenda Revelle, Tim Killian,
Cindy Moore held the proxy for Bob Harrington and Kathy Smith held the proxy for Laurie Apple
Guests Present: Jody Davis and Lona Robertson, Alice Griffin
Call to Order
Meeting was called to order at 1:00 p.m. by Kelly Way, chair of the committee.
1) Review and Approval of Agenda – The agenda was emailed to all members. Kathy Smith moved to approve the agenda as presented. Cindy Moore seconded the motion. The motion carried.
2) Approval of December, 2011 Curriculum Meeting Minutes – Minutes were not taken, as this meeting was conducted via email.
3) Old/Unfinished Business
1) Program change form for GHES was voted on at Faculty Council in January and passed on to UCPC.
4) New Business
a) HRMN –
1) HESC 3604 – Major Change, Separate into HESC 3603 and HESC 3601L. The HRMN and DIET students would take this. HRMN would only take the HESC 3601L class (no DIET students would enroll in this.) This would be effective Spring 2013. The pre-reqs of HESC 2112 and HESC 2111L would be removed. Cindy Moore moved to accept the changes as noted. Kathy Smith seconded the motion. All approved the motion for a 1st reading.
2) Program Change – This is required to change the science requirement to 8 hours of state minimum core. Cindy Moore moved to accept the changes as noted. Kathy Smith seconded the motion. It was noted that the department heads of BIOL and CHEM should be notified about the change as they may see a decrease in enrollment. This notification should come from the area coordinator. There was no further discussion. All approved the motion for a 1st reading.
b) DIET –
1) HESC 4223 – Minor Change – This was to add additional CHEM pre-reqs which will help the students find classes. Also dropped the POSC 3032 and POSC 3042 pre-reqs. Tim Killian made the motion to approve the changes as presented. Kathy Smith seconded the motion. There was no discussion on the matter. All approved the motion.
2) Special Topics Course – Summer 2012 – HESC 255V - -Special Topics course for Childhood Obesity class will need to be created for this summer. Cindy Moore and Mardi Crandall will be teaching the class as a part of the AFRI grant. Tim Killian made the motion to accept the request as presented. Kathy Smith seconded the motion. The paperwork to request this class will need to be submitted to the Dean's office for approval. All approved the motion.
c) APST –
1) HESC 4901 – Minor change in pre-reqs – adding "For APST Majors Only"
2) HESC 4912 – Minor change in pre-reqs – adding "For APST Majors Only"
3) Kathy Smith moved to accept these changes as presented. Glenda Revelle seconded the motion. Kathy Smith clarified the need for this change. A student enrolled himself in HESC 4901, because he needed one hour to keep his scholarship. He was not an APST student. This was a problem, so making this change should stop this in the future. All approved the motion.
d) HDFS –
e) Public Policy Program –
1) PUBP 6103 – Major Change – Title Change
2) PUBP 6143 – Major Change – Add a Course
Public Policy is a multi-discipline Ph.D. program so this request had to come to the HESC Curriculum Committee. Tim Killian moved to accept the changes. Glenda Revelle seconded the motion. There is no action necessary by HESC for these items of business. All approved the motion.
3) GERO Certificate Deletion
This certificate program has been inactive for several years. This can still be access through the Great Plains Idea Program. The request is to delete the certificate program and leave the GERO course intact. Tim Killian moved to accept the changes as presented. Kathy Smith seconded the motion. There is no action necessary by HESC for this item of business. All approved the motion.
f) Act 747 – Dean Robertson talked briefly about Act 747. It was noted that
all areas will have to review their curriculums to make adjustments to their programs in order to reduce the hours to 120. This is a chance to make sure that all curriculum is correct. Dean Robertson stated that this will not need to be completed until 2014.
The next meeting is scheduled for Wednesday, March 7 at 1:00 p.m.
Cindy Moore made the motion to adjourn the meeting at 2:00 p.m. Kathy Smith seconded the motion. All favored the motion.