HESC Curriculum Minutes -- Feb. 12, 2010School of Human Environmental Sciences
Curriculum Committee Meeting Minutes
Feb. 12, 2010
Voting Faculty Present: Laurie Apple, Kelly Way, Mardi Crandall, Kathy Smith, Cindy Moore, Tim Killian
Administrators Present: Alice Griffin
Ex-Officio Present: Mary Warnock
Call to Order
Meeting was called to order at 12:35 p.m. by Laurie Apple, chair of the committee.
1) Review and Approval of Minutes from November 13, 2009
Minutes from the November 13, 2009 meeting had been distributed via email to all committee members. Tim Killian moved that the minutes be accepted, as presented. Kelly Way seconded the motion. The vote was unanimous to approve the minutes, as presented.
2) Review and Approve Agenda
Laurie Apple asked if there were any changes to be made to the agenda, which had been distributed to the committee members via email. Kathy Smith moved to approve the agenda as distributed. Kelly Way seconded the motion. The vote was unanimous to approve the agenda, as presented.
3) Election of Chair Elect
Laurie Apple noted that as Faculty Council Chair, she cannot make motions in the HESC Curriculum Committee meetings. She noted that a chair elect should be elected to help with this situation. This would also provide a training opportunity for this person. The committee was charged to go back to their areas to talk about who would be the curriculum committee representatives from the areas for the next year. Tim Killian felt that this would be a good move. Laurie noted that a vote would be taken for this position at the March 5, 2010 meeting.
4) Old Business
1) HESC 3104 – Quantity Food Production, Service and Equipment – Major Change – Add Class – Laurie Apple noted that this request was killed, as the area does not want to pursue this change at this time. The materials are being covered in current courses.
2) HESC 3223 – Nutrition Assessment – Major Change – Add Class -- Laurie Apple noted that this request was killed, as the area does not want to pursue this change at this time. The materials are being covered in current courses.
5) New Business
a) Proposed program changes for PUBP
Tim Killian shared that the GPA for the PUBP program is being raised from 3.0 to 3.2. Tim Killian made the motion to accept this change. Kathy Smith seconded the motion. There were no further discussions. The vote was unanimous to approve the program change, as presented.
1) HESC 4901 APST Pre-Study Tour – Major Change – Add Graduate Level Credit –
2) HESC 4912 APST Study Tour – Major Change – Add Graduate Level Credit
Both of these items were presented together. Kathy Smith moved to accept the changes presented for a 1st reading. Cindy Moore seconded the motion. Discussion was held at this time. Laurie Apple informed the committee that HESC 4903 (which was the previous class for the study tour) already carried graduate credit. The syllabus for HESC 4901/HESC 4912 has been updated to reflect the graduate student expectations. Tim Killian stated that a detailed and specific description of graduate activities needed to be added to the justification area. There has been concern among the UCPC group that there are "soft" graduate expectations included in classes. Strong justifications are very important and should be included. The vote was unanimous to approve the program change, with the suggestion changes to the justification incorporated, for a 1st reading.
3) HESC 5013 Advanced Apparel Pattern Design – Minor Change – Change offering from Spring every year to "Spring Even Years" – Kathy Smith made the motion to accept the change presented, which would exclude offering HESC 5013 in Spring odd years. Kelly Way seconded the motion. The vote was unanimous to approve the course change, as presented. As this is a minor change, there is no need for a 2nd reading.
1) RSOC 4603 Environmental Sociology – Add junior standing as a prerequisite – Tim Killian made the motion to accept the change presented. Cindy Moore seconded the motion. Since this class is a cross-listed class with Sociology, it will be necessary to contact that department to advise of this intention. Tim Killian stated that this will be completed. The vote was unanimous to approve the course change, as presented, for a 1st reading.
1) HESC 4573 Destination Marketing and Operations – did not pass UCPC – need strong description of how the undergraduate course will be different from the graduate course. This was provided for information only. This item of business will be dropped from further consideration, per a request from the HRMN area.
e) UA Writing Requirement – Laurie Apple will get all of the Program of Changes together for the School, as it was determined that there would have to be separate submissions for each area. The official change of ENGL 2003 to ENGL 3003 has not yet been approved. The following question was asked – Why change this class from the sophomore to junior level? No additional requirements were provided by ENGL, so the request was sent back.
f) ENGL 1013 and ENGL 1023 Exemption Status – The committee was okay with how this was presented. The HESC faculty, as a whole, had voted in support of this earlier.
g) Revision of Curriculum Committee Handbook – Laurie Apple reminded everyone that
it is time to revise the HESC Curriculum Committee Handbook. This had been distributed
to all members via email earlier. Please look over the document and forward any changes
to Laurie Apple.
6) Administrative Reports
7) Kelly Way made a motion to discuss the suspension of the committee quorum rules. Tim Killian seconded the motion. This change would require that 4 of the 6 committee members be present in order for quorum to be met. There was no further discussion. The vote was unanimous to approve the quorum suspension, as presented.
8) Dates for Future Meetings
a) March 5, 2010 – 2:30 p.m.
b) April 2, 2010 – 2:30 p.m.
c) April 30, 2010 – 10:00 a.m. – Noon – AFLS Faculty Meeting
The meeting was adjourned at 1:45 p.m. by Laurie Apple.