Faculty Council Minutes -- September 2009

MINUTES
DBCAFLS FACULTY COUNCIL MEETING
September 18, 2009
Rosen Center Conference Room

Faculty present:
Mike Richardson – HORT (Chair)
Laurie Apple – HESC (Chair-elect)
Dave Kreider– ANSC (Substitute for Hayden Brown)
Kristofor Brye – CSES
Latha Devareddy – FDSC
Tim Kring – ENTO (Substitute for Fred Stephen)
Ken Korth – PLPA
Yi Liang – BAEG (Substitute for Sreekala Bajwa)
Cindy Moore - HESC
Brad Murphy – HORT
Daniel Rainey – AEAB
Others Present
Nann Miller – University Faculty Senate
Larry Purcell – Graduate Council
Administrators present:
Mark Cochran, Associate Vice President for Agriculture - Research
Lalit Verma, Interim Dean and Associate Vice President for Agriculture – Academic Programs
Donna Graham, Associate Dean
Call to Order – Mike Richardson, chair, called the meeting to order at 2:30 p.m.
Approval of Agenda – Motion made and seconded to approve the agenda. Motion adopted by voice approval.
Approval of Minutes – Motion made and seconded to approve August 21, 2009 meeting minutes with one change: Sun-Ok Lee in place of Ya Jane Wang as a substitute representative for Latha Devareddy. Motion adopted by voice approval.
Administration Reports
Bumpers College –Associate Dean Donna Graham
Undergraduate enrollment increased by about 100 new students and graduate enrollment increased this fall. There has been growth over the past ten years. Increase in enrollment is putting more pressure on classroom scheduling. The Dean's Office is trying to accommodate everyone for spring 2010 classes, but some changes will need to be made. A suggestion was made to put together a list of instructors who would be willing to teach outside the hours of 9:30 am to 11:30 am or those who would be willing to spread out to another campus location. It would be critical not to overlap those classes with other required classes.
Access to computer labs is of major concern as two computer classes have been combined into one room. New computer labs in AFLS are booked all day, which limits general access to the labs for students to use for other activities. There is concern the students are using the computer lab more for printing or other non-scholarly activities. Faculty Senate is considering charging students for printing in the computer labs. Tele-fees are covering the cost of the copy paper for the computer labs.
Residency guidelines are being re-written to bring clarity as to the requirements for students on this campus as related to courses and to outline the upper level courses they are required to take. Changes are likely coming. There is a push from legislative acts to create seamless transfer policies for community college students. Articulation agreements will have to be coordinated for those colleges within reasonable driving distances: Northwest Arkansas Community College in Rogers, Arkansas State University – Mountain Home, and Harrison.
H1N1 continuity/contingency plans are in place for all departments. Many include the use of Blackboard to relay information to students. If this is a component of your unit's plan, then the department should set up the Blackboard account now rather than waiting. Blackboard may have trouble handling all the work.
ADHE has notified the college of those programs that meet the goals of graduation standards. The university submitted 64 degree programs considered being cognate programs (70 percent of the programs are shared). Forty-five programs were accepted and some programs will have to appeal.

Question: What if master's programs merge?
Answer: ADHE would consider this action more favorably.
Dr. Graham shared with the Faculty Council three projects being worked on in her office.
1) Grant sharing with three other states in bio-based energy and bio-based products. They are meeting next week in Kansas. There are three subgroups: feed stocks, sustainability, and conversion.
2) Plant Science grant. Class is up and is offered this fall.
3) University wide task force on distance education to address challenges of delivering education online.
Bumpers College - Interim Dean Lalit Verma
The preliminary enrollment reports show the college enrollment is up 5.8 percent total as compared to last fall. The college contribution to the campus enrollment previously had been 10 percent and is now 8.9 percent, so the college has some work to do.
A follow-up retreat on productivity analysis and enhancement will be scheduled for the fall semester. Need some action items to come from this meeting so that programs and courses can be offered as efficiently as possible.
A proposal has been put forward to campus to realign Interior Design with the School of Architecture. The provost has met with Interim Dean Verma and Dean Shannon. Questions have been asked relating to budget and space. This is very preliminary and more information to follow.
At the Chancellor's retreat, it was reported that the Office of Student Affairs will be realigned with the Office of Academic Affairs and they will both report directly to the provost. The provost has proposed a training program for department heads to assist with transition from faculty to administration.
Three student senators have been elected from the college – Dr. Verma will add a few ambassadors and student club officers to form a Dean's Student Advisory Board to meet once per month to discuss pressing issues for our students.
A follow-up retreat to the productivity study will be held in November with exact dates to follow. Representation from Faculty Council is requested. Underlying goal is deciding how the college can offer more creative programs and courses more efficiently realigning our teaching faculty resources.
The college will have to take a conservative or cautious approach to the budget for next year. Forecasts for November and December are down. The best case scenario is no cuts, just hold our own.
Upon the retirement of Dr. Geren, the position will be separated into two positions - Dean of Graduate School and International Education; and Vice Provost for Research and Economic Development.
Instructors must follow guidelines for course evaluations – they must be done in the 12th week of classes and the instructor may not be present.
Drs. Verma and Cochran will appoint a Distance Education Committee and a Time Tabulator Committee.

Division of Agriculture – Arkansas Agricultural Experiment Station
Associate Vice President - Research Mark Cochran
New processes are in place for Off-Campus Duty Assignment. Proposals are due in early November.
Senator Lincoln has been selected to chair the Senate Ag Committee, which could create some excellent opportunities for Arkansas. Discussions of collaboration with other institutions have already begun in response to this.
Stimulus dollars have been received to support the new facility at the Rice Research and Extension Center. More stimulus support for bricks and mortar is pending.
The Division is going to contract with a private firm to offer a series of grant writing workshops.
USDA has been mandated to reorganize with CSREES becoming NIFA. Dr. Roger Beachy has been named as the new NIFA Director. Dr. Beachy is a Plant Pathologist with strong ties to biotechnology. We are expecting more money for agriculture in the AFRI competitive grants program in the USDA 2010 Budget.
Four sub-institutes to be developed within NIFA: 1) production and products, 2) climate change and energy, 3) human health and nutrition, and 4) human capacity and community development.
They are also creating an Office of International Programs in the Office of the Chief Scientist.
AFRI – Target to get the Ag Appropriations finalized by the end of September. They hope to see significant increase in available dollars. There are 32-33 separate programs included in those competitive grants. They are interested in consolidating these grants and interested in doing longer term and larger awards.
University Faculty Senate– Nann Miller, No Report
Ag Curriculum Committee – David Kreider
David Kreider gave everyone a draft copy of the Ag Curriculum Committee minutes. This committee will meet the second Wednesday of each month. A motion was made and seconded to approve the Food Toxicology and Contamination course (POSC 5103). Mike Richardson asked that the Faculty Council Chair be provided a copy of each syllabus after a course has been approved.
HESC Curriculum Committee – Laurie Apple
Laurie Apple gave everyone a copy of the HESC Sub-Curriculum report. The changes are in response to an attempt to streamline the programs. The additional courses that are new requirements represent an increase in HESC courses from 43 to 55 hours. A motion was made and seconded to approve the HESC Sub-Curriculum Committee report.
Graduate Council Report – Larry Purcell
Approved to graduate faculty status Shannon Carpenter of HESC to II T and Aguilia Lawrence from Entomology to II T.
Dean Koski received information from The American Association of University Professors (AAUP) regarding how graduate students are treated as employees. The AAUP suggests that all graduate students should all receive in writing some indication of expectations upon appointment. The AAUP also suggests that upon recurring appointments students should be notified as to when the decision of renewal is to occur so they could provide supplemental materials that could be used in making the decision. There was much discussion but no decisions. A third point was an AAUP statement indicated there is a need, upon request from the student, to provide a written statement of reason for dismissal and a pretermination hearing before a fully constituted committee. Dean Koski suggested forming a sub-committee to study these AAUP statements.
Old Business – Mike Richardson
Defining membership in the College – Kris Brye
Minor comments were received back from the faculty regarding the petition for membership on the college faculty. A motion was approved to accept the petition as presented and it passed unanimously. It was determined that since the petition was only a process to fulfill the by-laws, a full faculty vote on the issue was not needed. Dr. Richardson will provide this petition to each unit prior to the end of 2009 so that off-campus faculty or other faculty that do not meet the current requirements for membership may complete the petition in time for the spring 2010 semester.
Unit heads evaluation document – Mike Richardson
Dr. Verma reported that the unit heads will be instructed to adequately communicate with their faculty about their activities, goals, and overall progress of the unit. This instruction is being included in the administration's expectations of unit heads. The unit heads will formulate a summary document to be provided to their faculty and staff prior to the unit heads' evaluations. This will be in place for evaluations in early 2010 for the calendar year 2009.
Nominations Committee Update - Ken Korth
Nominations are now being sought for chair-elect of the Faculty Council. A slate of candidates will be in place by the October Faculty Council meeting.
New Business - Mike Richardson
Faculty Senate elections are currently ongoing and will announce winners on Friday, September 25.
Dr. Shult has been invited to attend the Fall Faculty meeting on December 9. He will give a general overview of Division activities, including budgetary issues. Dr. Shult has also said he is willing to discuss other issues if the faculty desires. Faculty Council reps should follow up with their faculty members to see if there are items that Dr. Shult should address at that meeting.

Announcements
Mike Richardson still needs P&T Committee representatives from CSES and PLPA.
Adjournment –
Motion made and seconded to adjourn. The meeting adjourned at 4:15 p.m.

Submitted by
Carmen Alessi
10/13/09