Faculty Council Minutes -- October 2011

MINUTES
DBCAFLS FACULTY COUNCIL MEETING
October 28, 2011
Rosen Center Conference Room
Faculty present
Hayden Brown – ANSC
Kristofor Brye - CSES (Chair-elect)
Andy Proctor, FDSC – Substitute for Ron Buescher
Don Edgar – AEED
Gene Milus – PLPA, Substitute for Ken Korth
Donn Johnson - ENTO
Jeff Miller – AEED (Chair)
Cindy Moore - HESC
Curt Rom – HORT, Substitute for Brad Murphy
Scott Osborn - BAEG
Park Waldroup – POSC
Duane Wolf – CSES, Substitute for Thad Scott
Others Present
Nick Anthony – Ag Curriculum Sub-Committee
Kelly Way – HESC Curriculum Sub-Committee
Administrators present:
Michael E. Vayda – Dean and Associate Vice President for Agriculture-Academic Programs
Curt Rom – Honors Program Director
Andy Proctor – Director, Bumpers College International Programs
Call to Order – Jeff Miller, chair, called the meeting to order at 2:38 p.m.
Approval of Agenda – Motion made and seconded to approve the agenda with one correction.
Curt Rom will give the report for University Faculty Senate. Motion adopted by voice approval.
Approval of Minutes – Motion made and seconded to approve the September 16, 2011, Faculty Council minutes. Motion adopted by voice approval.
Administration Reports
Bumpers College - Dean Mike Vayda
Please click on the link to view Dr. Vayda's report.
Bumpers College – Jeff Miller on behalf of Associate Dean Lona Robertson
Both the Scholarship Committee and the Awards Committee have been meeting to propose changes to the By-Laws and have formed sub-committees to review their operational procedures. These committees would like to establish a general philosophy, develop a set of general guidelines that directs the College's scholarship application process, and review selection of award processes. The Scholarship sub-committee includes Leigh Southward, Cathy Hamilton, Duane Wolf, Bruce Ahrendsen, Rick Rorie, and Tom Costello.
The Awards Committee met twice in October to discuss procedures for reviewing faculty nomination packets and to select nominees to forward to the dean. The Committee met on October 14 to develop operational procedures: a primary review level and a secondary review level. The committee members would be placed on one of three primary review panels: Justus Award, John W. White Award, and the Alumni Society Award. They will use an evaluation sheet provided by the Associate Dean. The entire Awards Committee will review all of the nomination packets.
Bumpers College – Honors Program Director Curt Rom
Four proposals from Bumpers College were submitted regarding interdisciplinary courses. There were 10 undergraduate SURF and Honors College proposals submitted this week, none for the fall. Four Honors Program students will graduate in December, 2011. A reception is being planned tentatively scheduled for December 16, 2011. The Honors Program Committee will review the current AFLS Honors College being taught and will evaluate the courses the College offers.
International Programs - Director Andy Proctor
Please click on the links to view Dr. Proctor's reports.
Standing Committee Reports
University Faculty Senate – Curt Rom
The October 12, 2011 minutes (draft) may be found at:
http://facultysenate.uark.edu/facsen2011to2012/minutes101211.htm
Ag Curriculum Sub-Committee – Nick Anthony
The October, 2011 minutes (draft) may be found here.
There was a motion made and seconded to accept all program changes and major course changes (all have passed on second reading) as proposed by the Ag Curriculum Sub-Committee. Motion adopted by voice approval.
HESC Curriculum Sub-Committee – Kelly Way
Please click on the link to view Dr. Way's summary.
All of the changes were second readings and approved at the October 14 meeting by HESC faculty. Course description changes have been made in preparation for the upcoming accreditation.
There was a motion made and seconded to accept all proposals as recommended by the HESC Curriculum Sub-Committee. Motion adopted by voice approval.
Changes suggested to the HESC By-Laws in Section C, paragraph 3. The director of the school does not vote on this committee. The director is a non-voting member as well as the chair is a non-voting member. Drs. Way and Moore will provide the exact wording to the Faculty Council.
Graduate Council Report – No Report
Old Business – Jeff Miller
Promotion and Tenure Document Changes. Kris Brye worked with a committee to review the Division of Agriculture's Personnel Document to bring it in line with the University's new P&T timeline. The College Personnel Document will be updated to include the new timelines, new procedures for soliciting external review letters, particularly as it relates to redaction and confidentiality of reviewers.
Each Faculty Council rep has been asked to take the draft of the College Personnel Document back to their respective departments for feedback. It was noted that by necessity the College Personnel Document is vague in areas that should be vague. Departments may choose to be more specific in some areas. There will be a vote to adopt or disapprove of the document by the entire faculty at the December 9 Fall Faculty meeting.
Kris Brye, Ron Buescher, Dan Rainey and Donn Johnson served on the Faculty By-Laws Change Sub-Committee. They reviewed the By-Laws line-by-line and developed a track change proposal for review by the Faculty Council.
Below are suggestions from the Faculty Council on how the Faculty By-Laws should be phrased.
• Article I – Name "Assembly", proposed "Body".
• Article II, Paragraph A - proposal is to strike "precisely".
• Article IV, Section A – proposal is to strike "revised November 11, 1988".
• Article V, Section D – Proposal in second sentence to add" but not limited to" after "including" and before "the maintenance" and add at the end of the sentence, "the preparation of an initial draft of the Faculty Council and College Faculty meeting minutes for the Faculty Council Chair to review and revise if necessary and posting those minutes to the appropriate outlet. Upon request the secretary will also conduct confidential balloting."
• Article VI, Section D – proposal is to strike the date "December 15".
• Article VI, Section F, Number 2 – Proposal change the sentence to "Balloting should be conducted by the Administrative Secretary, if requested, in a manner that does not disclose how individual Faculty have voted. All forms of balloting, including electronic, are permitted as long as voter confidentiality is maintained."
• Article VI, Section G, Number 2 – Proposal is to change the number of working days from 10 to 30.
• Article VI, Section G, Number 3 – Proposal is to change "Reports by the Dean" to "Reports by the Administration".
• Article VII – There was discussion regarding terms of office form members and officers of Bumpers College standing committees being on a calendar-year basis. It was decided to continue with the calendar-year basis.
• Article VII, Section A, Number 1 – After discussion, it was agreed that the purpose and functions of the Faculty Council as stated is accurate.
• Article VII, Section A, Number 2 - It was suggested that the Faculty Council chair should send an email to all faculty to view meeting minutes as they become available to keep faculty informed.
New Business – Jeff Miller
Dr. Miller announced that there are three nominees to run for chair-elect of Faculty Council.
Announcements
The next meeting will be on November 18 at 2:30 pm.
Adjournment
Motion made and seconded to adjourn. The meeting adjourned at 4:35 pm.
Submitted by
Carmen Alessi
11/11/2011