Faculty Council Minutes- March 2004MINUTES
DBCAFLS FACULTY COUNCIL MEETING
MARCH 12, 2004
2:30 p.m. Rosen Center Conference Room
Faculty Present: J. Turner, Chair, A. Szalanski (ENTO), R. Gergerich (PLPA), T. Killian
(HESC), F. Scott (AEED), T. Costello (BAEG), L. Parsch (AEAB), T. Yazwinski (ANSC),
(POSC), A. Proctor (FDSC), Mike Richardson (HORT), D. Donoghue (POSC)
Others Attending: Greg Weidemann -- Dean
Jason Emmert -- Agriculture Curriculum Committee
Absent: M. Stewart (CSES)
1. Call to Order -- J. Turner, Chair elect, called the meeting to order at 2:30 p.m.
2. Agenda -- J. Turner asked for recommendations for revision of the agenda. R. Gergerich made a motion to accept the agenda as presented. T. Costello seconded the motion and the motion passed.
3. Approval of Minutes -- The minutes of February 13, 2004 meeting of the Faculty Council were presented for approval. L. Parsch moved to accept the minutes. R. Gergerich seconded and the motion passed.
4. Reports -- None
5. Standing Committee Reports
A. Agriculture subcommittee -- J. Emmert (handout)
1. FDSC Major The proposal includes revising the choices for fulfilling the statistics
requirement as follows:
a. Deletion of ISYS 2013 (Business Statistics, course has been deleted
b. Addition of STAT 2023 (Biostatistics) and PSYC 2013 (Introduction to Statistics for Psychologists)
c. STAT 2303 (Principles of Statistics) and AGST 4023 (Principles of Experimentation) will remain on the list of accepted courses
1. ANSC -- new minor in Equine Science (EQSC-M). A copy of the program addition form
As part of this minor a new course has been proposed:
ANSC 3822 "Equine Law"
This course is a component of the proposed Equine Science minor in ANSC.
2. POSC -- new undergraduate certificate "Hazard Analysis Critical Control Point (HACCP) Coordinator Certificate". A copy of the program proposal is included.
Four new courses have been proposed:
1. FDSC 3303 "Principles of Food Processing"
2. POSC 2003 "Fundamentals of Food Microbiology"
3. POSC 4034 "Statistical Process Control in the Food Industry"
4. POSC 4023 "Advanced Topics in Food Safety Management"
3. POSC -- new undergraduate certificate "Food Safety Manager Certificate" (POFSUC)
As part of this 2 new web-based courses have been proposed:
1. FDSC 3753 "Engineering Principles for Food Processing"
2. FDSC 4823 "Principles of Food Microbiology"
J. Emmert made the clarification that the new Poultry Science certifications (2 and 3 above) were not intended to be a degree program, but a certification program only. The offered courses are not equal to, but are a "watered down" version of the University Food Science courses. Also, the certifications were intended for industry personnel and not necessarily for students.
F. Scott motioned to approve changes. A. Proctor seconded motion. Motion passed.
6. Old Business
1. Personnel Document -- R Gergerich announced that the website containing the instructions on promotion and tenure has been corrected and now reflects all the necessary requirements. Also, discussion ensued regarding the implications of attaching an executive summary to the document. It was decided that it should not be required in the promotion packet, but it should be strongly recommended.
2. Change in grading system - Discussion continued from the previous meeting regarding changes to the current grading system. Although some information has been collected, L. Parsch will continue to do more research for further discussion.
7. New Business - None
8. Inquiries from the Faculty -- None
9. Meeting Adjourned
T. Costello motioned to adjourn the meeting. R. Gergerich seconded the motion. The
The meeting was adjourned at 3:45 p.m.
Tracy Joslin, Recording Secretary