Faculty Council Minutes -- January 2013MINUTES
DBCAFLS FACULTY COUNCIL MEETING
January 18, 2013
Rosen Center Conference Room
Donn Johnson – ENTO (Chair)
Burt Bluhm - PLPA
Walter Bottje – POSC
Kristofor Brye – CSES
Fred Stephen – ENTO, Substitute for Ashley Dowling
Donna Graham – Substitute for Don Edgar – AEED
Mike Evans – HORT (Chair-Elect)
Garry McDonald – HORT
Scott Osborn - BAEG
Andy Proctor – FDSC and International Programs
Bruce Ahrendsen, Substitute for Dan Rainey – AEAB
Rick Rorie– ANSC
Kathy Smith - HESC
Bruce Ahrendsen – Faculty Senate Representative
Jackie Wiersma – Graduate Council Representative
Rick Roeder – Associate Director of Agricultural Experiment Station
Call to Order – Donn Johnson, chair, called the meeting to order at 2:30 p.m.
Approval of Agenda – Motion made and seconded to approve the agenda. Motion adopted by voice approval.
Approval of Minutes – Motion made and seconded to approve the November 16, 2012, Faculty Council minutes. Motion adopted by voice approval.
Division of Agriculture –Associate Vice President for Agriculture – Research and
Director, Arkansas Agricultural Experiment Station – Rick Roeder on behalf
of Clarence Watson
1. Dr. Roeder mentioned that the Arkansas Agricultural Experiment Station (AAES) will be making their Federal budget request for FY-2014 in Washington at the end of February. A new Farm Bill is expected to be written in 2013. At the state level, the 2013 Legislative session has convened. Preliminary recommendations are for level funding and are hopeful to include a 2 percent raise. The Division of Agriculture presented the annual faculty awards at a luncheon on January 11, 2013 in Rogers. Please click on the link to see the list of this year's winners. Expansion of the State Soil Test Laboratory at Marianna is underway, with partial funding from the Soil Test Review Board. The expansion is badly needed to accommodate the increased number of samples being submitted.
Bumpers College – Donn T. Johnson on behalf of Dean Mike Vayda
Please click on the link to see the notes from Dr. Johnson's discussion with Dr. Vayda.
Bumpers College – Associate Dean Lona J. Robertson, No Report
Honors Program –Curt Rom, Director
Please click on the link to see Dr. Rom's report.
International Programs - Andy Proctor, Director
Please click on the link to view Dr. Proctor's report.
University Faculty Senate – Bruce Ahrendsen, Representative
Dr. Ahrendsen reported that the 15 minute period between classes will go into effect in the Fall semester of 2013. Please click on the link to view the Faculty Senate's meeting minutes from December 5, 2012. http://facultysenate.uark.edu/facsen2012to2013/minutes120512.html.
The following is an excerpt from the minutes:
• The floor was given to Dr. Ro DiBrezzo who discussed the new course, University
Perspectives - Destination Graduation
o Course will be numbered UNIV 1001
o Proposed to begin Fall 2013
o Must go through the regular course approval process
o Trying to get the word out about the course
o It is a flipped course, in-class meetings but also an online component taught by GA's
o In class 10 weeks, online 5 weeks
o Want freshmen to have a sense that they are a part of our community
o Compensation provided to those who teach the course
o 1 hour course, not a part of a degree program
o ENGR and WCOB will not participate at this time since they have year-long programs in place
o Pilot course, experimental, 4 year analysis
o Please provide feedback to Dr. DiBrezzo
Dr. Ahrendsen was not sure what is included in the "year-long programs" in place by
the College of Engineering (ENGR) and Walton College (WCOB). He did mention that WCOB
and ENGR requires WCOB 1111 Freshman Business Connections and GNEG 1111 Introduction
to Engineering I and GNEG 1121 Introduction to Engineering II during the first year.
Also, it appears those courses are part of their respective degree programs according
to their eight-semester degree plans.
Dr. Ahrendsen confirmed that the Orientation class (1 hour) will not count towards the degree credit hours. Also, there was much discussion of the University's orientation course at the Faculty Senate meeting on January 16, 2013. Dr. Ahrendsen repeated the importance of following the specified schedule for giving final examinations, and discussed recommendations regarding student evaluations, which are reportedly accessible via FOIA. The Arkansas Student Government requested to add new questions to the teaching evaluation from the text and/or materials required for the respective class.
Please click on the link to view the Faculty Senate's meeting minutes from January 16, 2013. http://facultysenate.uark.edu/facsen2012to2013/minutes011613.html
Graduate Council Report – Jackie Wiersma, Representative
The proposal to eliminate 4000-level dual credit classes will not be taken forward as there is sufficient opposition. Council members were asked to poll their constituencies about limiting the number of 4000 level courses that graduate students may use in their degree programs. Dr. Wiersma announced that the Graduate Council meets the third Thursday of each month.
Please click on the link to view the Graduate Council's January 17, 2013 meeting minutes. http://grad.uark.edu/dean/gradcouncil/minutes/20130117/minutes20130117.php.
Standing Committee Reports
Promotion and Tenure Committee – John Clark, Chair – No Report
Awards Committee and Scholarship Committee – Donn T. Johnson on behalf of Lona Robertson, Chair
Please be reminded that the awards applications and the scholarship application are available online and that both are due on February 1, 2013.
Ag Curriculum Sub-Committee – Nick Anthony, Chair – No Report
HESC Curriculum Sub-Committee – Kelly Way, Chair – No Report
Old Business – Donn T. Johnson
College Faculty By-Laws Revision Voting Results. 68 of 152 voting faculty have noted for a 44.7 percent turnout. Yes-68 and No-3. 68 votes x 66 percent = 45 votes. A quorum was reached and surpassed the 2/3 requirement.
New Business – Donn T. Johnson
Dr. Johnson reviewed the questions listed below with the Faculty Council and requested approval to ask the following questions of:
Bumpers College Faculty:
• How do we make departments more efficient, fair course loads, and increase civility and collegiality in the College/ across Colleges/ with students? No vote taken.
• On each dead day, should we have each department present a list of students they recommend for graduation? Motion made and seconded not to ask departments to present a list of students they recommend for graduation. Motion adopted by voice approval.
Dr. Johnson asked if the Honors Program and/or International Program be a standing committee of the Faculty Council. Motion made and seconded that the Honors Program and/or International Program not be a standing committee of the Faculty Council. Motion adopted by voice approval.
Does Bumpers College have enough instructors to give Instructor Teaching Award in addition to a Faculty Teaching Award? Motion made and seconded not to ask the Awards Committee to confirm if there are enough instructors to give both an Instructor Teaching Award and Faculty Teaching Award. Motion adopted by voice approval.
Promotion & Tenure Committee: Information only, no action required.
The provost has a policy to identify and mentor Associate Professors that have ability and desire to continue their development toward Professor. It is already on the provost's page on the University Web site at http://provost.uark.edu/494.php. Download the AAP Program Application Form. John Clark responded this is an issue for a head or chair and faculty member, maybe a department mentor, to encourage . . . faculty member needs to resolve to get up and get after getting a promotion.
• How should we participate in developing University-wide Sustainability Major? It was noted that Dr. Jennie Popp is a representative for Bumpers College on the University of Arkansas Sustainability Council.
• Student senators concerns: +/- grading system, naming of degrees, scantrons. (click on this link for Testing Material Distribution Update. TestingMaterialDistributionUpdate.docx)
• DBCAFLS Universal Orientation course (1 credit pass/fail) - life skills type course. The Faculty Council members will report back to their respective departments for further discussion.
• Should Department Heads automatically get Student Evaluation scores? Motion made and seconded that the decision to provide student evaluation scores to department heads should be made by the instructors. Motion adopted by voice approval.
Dean's Executive Advisory Council. No action taken.
Committee of Past, Present, Future Faculty Council Chairs - Is it needed? No action
taken, as there was not much enthusiasm to pursue.
Announcements – Donn T. Johnson
Motion made and seconded to adjourn. The meeting adjourned at 3:30 pm