Department heads May 7, 2003

Department Heads Meeting
May 7, 2003, 10:00 a.m.
Honors Hall
Present: G. Weidemann, P. Siebenmorgen, D. Graham, M. Warnock, M. Cochran, F. Stephen, W. Bottje, L. Verma, R. McNew, S. Lim, J. Barrentine, D. Herring, K. Lusby, D. Hensley, R. Buescher
Guests: M. Freeman, Director of International Student Scholars; L. Mossesso. Director of Graduate and International Admissions
1. G. Weidemann announced that we received nine Walton Chairs and Professorships. The College and Division have been challenged to find half the money within two years. It will be reviewed after one year and at the end of the second year. They have not yet allocated the total number of chairs and professorships. Depending on the matches obtained, there should be another round in a couple of years. They are asking us to identify potential donors to match our awards. There is a question as to when the money will actually flow into the accounts. The Foundation changed their guidelines so that when something flows into the Foundation they want to hold it for 18 months before it can be spent. (Attachment A)
INS GUIDELINES
Michael Freeman and Lynn Mossesso presented some of the procedures
affecting foreign and students and scholars under the new Department of Homeland Security. A quick reference handout was provided (Attachment 1).
Other areas discussed:
1. BUDGET UPDATE
G. Weidemann reported that we were notified of an additional 170K rescission in the Experiment Station budget. We will absorb this from reserves. The college was asked to prepare a plan for a 2% reallocation next year. A plan was submitted to the provost that has been approved. Campus is telling us that some reallocation money may flow back to the college but would flow back based on enrollment numbers and credit hour contributions.
Dr. Shult indicated that we may get some help from the legislature at the end of the biennium that would put us back about where we were at the end of the previous biennium with cuts and rescissions restored. This is based on expected revenue growth. A new category of revenue stabilization money has been created called "B1." Typically, if there is money in "B" and that money flows, the next year it rolls into the base. Any other money doesn't necessarily roll into the base as would be the case with "B1" money which would mean that we couldn't use to cover salary costs. If money flows in the way that is being discussed, we will engage in discussions about a salary program January 1. The campus is also looking at that possibility.
No determination has been made about a classified salary program.
Dr. Shult is considering having an early out this year and is studying the feasibility of doing so.
An item that was an issue in the legislature that we are dealing with is the way they are now looking at budgets. At one time, plant funds were not looked at by the state legislature. As a result of a change in their accounting practices, the Division reserves and the Campus reserves look large, not taking into consideration that those balances include grant funds, etc. Campus has developed a plan to reduce reserves in the units and colleges beginning next year. Reserves will be limited to 10% or less and will likely change the way we handle reserves on behalf of the college. Options in the college are considerably less than on the station side.
1. DIVISION CAREER LADDER AND PROMOTION OF NON-TENURE TRACK FACULTY (draft Attachments 2 and 3).
Unit Heads are asked to share drafts with the faculty and solicit suggestions for change. Dr. Shult will schedule another meeting to discuss revisions before implementing. Please be prepared to give faculty input when we reconvene as a Division group.
2. MANAGEMENT PLAN
Dean Weidemann met with the planning committee and developed a summary of action items identified for the final year of the plan. The action plan will be distributed to unit heads along with lead person and time line for completion.
3. GA FUNDING
We continue to deal with a number of GA funding issues. With the Walton fellowships and other programs we are willing to remove the cap on supplementing GA stipends from soft funds. We revisited the issue of hourly pay for GAs in the summer and are unsure as to the need to provide this option. Following discussion, only Ag Econ saw the need to have this option. Patty and staff will work with Mark Cochran to address their specific need. Annual leave for GAs remains an issue. Board policy is clear that no leave is available.
4. ANNUAL LEAVE FOR UNIT HEADS
As a reminder, unit heads must submit a request for annual leave to Dr. Weidemann. He also signs their monthly leave sheets. He asked that unit heads let someone in their offices know how to reach them in case of an emergency.
5. GRADUATE ASSISTANT POLICIES (Attachment 4)
Dr. Graham distributed a summary of Graduate Council Changes for FY 03. If there are questions about any of these items, please contact her at 575-2254.
6. FERPA POLICY FORM NO.4 - UPDATE ON STUDENT RECORDS (Attachment 5)
Dr. Graham stated that parents CAN see their student's records IF they are supporting the student (claimed deduction on income tax forms). The Registrar's office is asking for a copy of the parents' federal tax forms.

All freshmen in our College will be asked to complete this form. This form
stays on file for two years after their graduation. We will advise students
to fill out a new release form after graduation to allow information to be provided to potential employers.
Please caution people who deal with information requests to be very cautious about what information they give out.
If a student requests a letter of reference, you must have a signed statement from the student that you have permission to reveal their grades to a potential employer.
SAFARI will flag those students that request that no information be given. If you have questions, please call the dean's office and we will pull the hard copy of the form.
Reminder: Grade postings must not identify a student in any way. The only way that grades can be posted is by creating a unique code number and taking the names out of alphabetical order. Clearly we cannot put the tests out where any other student can look at them.
Units heads are obligated to see that this procedure is enforced.
Dr. Graham will send the definition of educational records out to
Unit heads.
7. GUIDELINES FOR ANNUAL REPORT
Annual reports are due to Dr. Graham by July 1. Guidelines for preparing and submitting the reports were distributed to department heads (Attachments 6A and 6B). The period of time to be covered is last summer, last fall and this spring. Publications are to be submitted as a separate document. Departments may put them in their society's format. In answer to a question about the reporting period, Dr. Weidemann mentioned that DHE works on an academic calendar basis and this includes the annual report. If you capture all the publications on the FSRs, you can use that for the annual report even though the time line is different. If you are consistent, you will capture all the publications.
8. HONORS PROGRAM
Dr. Graham gave a report on the Honors Program. She stated that Dr. Duane Wolf had a very successful year with the program. We will have approximately 46 students. We need senior faculty to step up and help with the Honors Program. Also need to rotate instructors in and out of the Program. Please give some thought to faculty that you think would be very good and work with them to encourage participation. Also need more faculty to mentor these students. Dr. Graham will ask Duane Wolfe to circulate a list of classes.
Dr. Weidemann commented that this is a very critical time for the Honors Program. We need to take full advantage of the emergence of Honors College. To do this, we must have a viable College Honors Program.
Dr. Weidemann also encouraged Unit Heads to participate by teaching a class.
9. ORIENTATION
Dr. Graham said that we need an instructor for orientation. It's an 8-week course that has been developed. She is seeking variety in faculty for this class also and will appreciate unit heads asking faculty to participate.
10. DEAD DAY
Dead Day was originally created for faculty to use as a day of clean up for items such as giving tests that students missed. It is an academic holiday from regular structured classes. There have been complaints from students the last two semesters about regularly scheduled academic activities which are not allowed. This is stated in the catalog. Department heads were asked to clarify this policy with their faculty.
11. Y.O.U. STUDENTS
Dr. Graham discussed a letter that she received from the Y.O.U. Coordinator (Attachment 7). If you have an interest in having one of these high school students work for you, please let her know.
12. GRADES
Dr. Graham circulated a list of grades that had not been turned in and asked department heads to remind faculty to get their grades in. Special problems is one of the most frequently overlooked.
13. TUITION WAIVER FOR EMPLOYEES - DISTANCE ED (Attachment 8)
Patty Siebenmorgen discussed changes in the tuition waiver for employees and distributed the Board Resolution referring to such waivers). Beginning with the fall semester, Item II Extent of Waiver, Item A will be enforced. This section reads "This waiver does not apply to professional degrees as determined by the Chancellor of each campus. This waiver does not apply to courses offered by electronic delivery such as CIV, Internet, web bases, or distance education.
14. INVENTORY
You or your support staff should have recently received a schedule for inventory for the next fiscal year. Patty called attention to the note on the schedule that you are to reply if the dates are unacceptable. If you find that you must change the date after accepting it, a service charge may be incurred. Dr. Weidemann interjected that people who surplus property without going through the process, leaving the items on inventory, may be required to pay out of pocket.
15. TRAVEL ADMINISTRATION
Patty explained that the campus is trying to clean up its list of travel administrators (the people who are allowed to sign the travel reimbursements.) Also, there is a new policy that travelers cannot sign their own travel reimbursements on the approval line so they will need to go to the business office for signature. She will work with the administrative staff to see that the proper forms are completed and that unit heads are listed as the travel administrator for their units.
A recent change in travel policy is that university travelers no longer have to stay overnight to claim meals as long as the travel time requirements are met. There is a special form that will need to be completed along with the regular travel form.

The meeting was adjourned at 12:30.