AFLS Curriculum Minutes -- Nov. 3, 2010AFLS Curriculum Committee Meeting Minutes
Wednesday, Nov, 3, 2010
3:30 – 5:00 pm, AFLS D-105, Honors Hall
Members in attendance: David Kreider (chair), Leslie Edgar (secretary), Ed Gbur, Kris Brye (for Mary Savin), David Hensley (for Curt Rom), Jim Correll, Ashley Dowling, Nick Anthony, Luke Howard, and Luke Parsch
Non-voting members: Alice Griffin, Diana Bisbee, and Jody Davis
Call to order: 3:30 p.m.
Approval of Agenda: (motion by Gbur, seconded by Hensley)
Approval of previous minutes: (Oct. 6, 2010) (motion by Gbur, seconded by Hensley)
Old Business: (all approved for first reading on 10-6-2010)
• AGED 4632 Teaching Diverse Populations (change to dual credit)
Motion to accept the course on the second reading (motion by Edgar, seconded by Anthony)
• AGED 4543 Ag Publications (new course proposal)
• AGED 2143 Introduction to Ag Communications (new course proposal)
• AGED 4012 Program Development (change in hours to 4233)
Motion to accept AGED 4543, 2143, and 4012 on the second reading (motion by Edgar, seconded by Anthony)
• CSES 4303 Bioenergy Feedstock Production (dual credit)
Motion to accept the course on the second reading (motion by Brye, seconded by Gbur)
• Changes to Crop Biotechnology minor
◦ Require 16 not 18 hours for minor
◦ Discussion over special topics required course in the program with request to take discussion back to department.
Motion to accept the minor on the second reading (motion by Brye, seconded by Anthony)
• ESWS major changes
◦ Change MATH block to 9 hours on check sheet and other revisions as needed.
Motion to accept the major changes to ESWS 8-semester check sheet on the second reading (motion by Brye, seconded by Corral)
• ENSC 4401 Professional Certification Preparation, senior level (4000-level), 1 credit hour, spring, 1st 8 weeks of semester (exams alternate between Environmental Science in odd years and Soil Science in even years) (offered 3 times already) Add to Environmental Management.
Motion to accept ENSC 4401 for the second reading (motion by Brye, seconded by Correll)
• Proposal regarding communication intensive courses
◦ Dr. Parsch – request to use ENGL 2003 (if course taken in fall of 2010 or sooner) to meet the college requirement of a communications elective.
Motion to accept the communication change for the first and second reading (motion by Parsch, seconded by Gbur)
• Proposed revised TURF Minor degree program from the HORT Department.
◦ Minor will include HORT 2303 and 3403 will be required. CSES 2203/2301L will no longer be required, but may be taken as an elective.
Motion to accept the communication change for the first and second reading (motion by Gbur, seconded by Anthony)
• Proposed to accept a communication course (ENGL 215) from Missouri State University. The course transferred in as a 299T course.
Motion to accept this course on a one time basis as a communications intensive course (motion by Hensley, seconded by Dowling)
• Program change Plant Pathology GRE requirement
◦ Requiring graduate students to take the GRE.
Motion to accept for the first and second reading (motion by Brye, seconded by Anthony)
• Approved (Withdrawn by Dr. Bennett prior to DFAC approval for further faculty discussion)
Dean's Office Reports: Dr. Vayda (skipped)
• Dianna Bisbee: Biobased Products and Bioenergy Graduate Certificate program associated with the Great Plains Ag*Idea Consortium. Students from our university and other consortium institution students can take these courses. Courses proposed for acceptance CSES 5313 (Crop Simulation Models in Research, Management and Policy) and CSES 5323 (Soil/Water Quality in Bioenergy Feedstock Production Systems).
Motion to accept CSES 5313 and 5323 for the first and second reading (motion by Brye, seconded by Parsch)
Adjourned at 4:40 p.m.