AFLS Curriculum Minutes -- Aug. 2, 2011Minutes (Final)
AFLS Curriculum Committee Meeting
Tuesday, August 2, 2011
10 a.m. – noon, AFLS D-105, Honors Hall
Voting Members: Leslie Edgar (chair), David Kreider, Mary Savin, Nick Anthony (secretary), Ed Gbur, Ashley Dowling, Mike Thomsen, Ya Jane Wang, Jon Lindstrom
Nonvoting Members: Deans Vayda and Robertson and Jody Davis
Guest: Dan Donoghue, Steve Boss, Tahar Messadi
• Call to order:
• Approval of Agenda: Two Poultry Sciences courses were added for first read:
◦ POSC 1012 Avian Biology
◦ POSC 2343 Poultry Production
• Motion for approval of agenda with suggested additions Kreider, Second Gbur,
• Approval of previous minutes: (July 5, 2011) Motion for approval Gbur, Second Kreider, Motion passed.
• Dean's Office Reports:
○ Discussion regarding the creation of a "breadcrumb" list of how documents should move through curriculum. Conversation regarding new course creation emphasized the need to think about the audience, if there is a need for the course, can the course be team taught, cross listed. Energy has to be spent on avoiding duplication. Generally all faculty were engaged in the conversation.
○ Dr. Vayda announced that the College was about to embark on a capital campaign to fund high priority items. He encouraged everyone to consider departmental and college needs.
• Old Business:
○ ANSC3491L Artificial Insemination in Cattle (second reading): Motion for approval of second read, Anthony, Second (Gbur), Motion passed.
○ POSC 3112 Food Toxicology (second reading): Course was not entered into system and therefore a motion to table the course reading was made by Kreider, Second (Gbur), Motion Passed.
There was a healthy discussion on how to proceed with this class. The suggestion was made to give Food Science the chance to become involve as a team taught course or by requiring the revamping of the syllabus to reflect only poultry related toxicology. It was indicated by Dr. Donoghue that the course was not designed to be limited to poultry. He will attempt to work with Dr. Li to develop the team taught course.
There was a discussion to include Dr. Cindy Moore in the course as well. It is thought that there would be great interest in this course for the Human Nutrition group.
○ POSC (#?) Sustainable integrated Small Farming (second reading): Course was not entered into system therefore a motion to table the course reading was made by Kreider, Second (Gbur), Motion Passed.
All of the concerns raised since the last curriculum meeting was addressed by Dr. Donoghue. This included a meeting with relevant faculty and the ANSC Department Head. A memo from the Head was presented to the Committee. The class was suggested for addition to the sustainability program (representatives agreed).
• New Business (Pending Requests):
○ SUST Graduate Certificate (first reading)
There was a lengthy discussion about allocation of hours and course selection for the program. It was mentioned that the Certificate program was built from a list of existing courses. There was some discussion involving inclusion in the program. Apparently Department Heads were asked to provide a list of courses. This was done to take advantage of diversity in courses across Colleges and departments. Motion for approval of first read, Thomsen, Second (Kreider), Motion passed.
○ POSC 1012 Avian Biology (first reading): Anthony presented syllabus for the course and supporting submission documents. Motion for approval of first read, Anthony, Second (Gbur), Motion passed.
○ POSC 2343 Poultry Production (first reading): Anthony presented syllabus for the course and supporting submission documents. This included a course level change (1000 to 2000) and the introduction of production based lab to replace the former Poultry Careers lab that it use to have. Motion for approval of first read, Kreider, Second (Dowling), Motion passed.
○ POSC 2353 Anthony mentions the minor change of name from Poultry Production to Poultry Breeder Management.
○ POSC program change: Anthony presented the new POSC Degree Check Sheet and other associated paperwork. Kreider suggested that Anthony send electronic copy of information to the curriculum committee members. Motion for approval of first read, Kreider, Second (Dowling), Motion passed.
• Announcements: Next curriculum meeting will be determined after the start of Fall semester.
• Adjourn Motion to adjourn Kreider, Second (Anthony), Motion passed.