Spring Commencement 2013
Bumpers College Commencement
Bumpers College's Spring 2013 commencement was May 11 in Barnhill Arena. Ted Dorn, recipient of the Outstanding Alumni Award and co-president of three Simmons Foods Inc. affiliates (Simmons Feed Ingredients, PRO*CAL and Sensora LLC) delivered the commencement address.
Food for Thought Lecture
Spring 2013 Lecture -- Sen. John Boozman
Sen. John Boozman of Arkansas delivered the Food for Thought lecture on April 5, 2013, at Old Main's Giffels Auditorium at the University of Arkansas.
2013 Dale and Betty Bumpers Distinguished Lecture Program - Tom Vilsack
Secretary of Agriculture Tom Vilsack delivered his lecture on April 23, 2013, at the Leflar Law Center at the University of Arkansas. The Dale and Betty Bumpers Distinguished Lecture Program is an annual presentation of the university's Dale Bumpers College of Agricultural, Food and Life Sciences.
2012 Dale and Betty Bumpers Distinguished Lecture Program - President Bill Clinton
On April 15, 2012, President Bill Clinton, founder of the William J. Clinton Foundation and 42nd president of the United States, addressed students, faculty, staff, alumni and friends of the University of Arkansas. He was the inaugural speaker of the Dale and Betty Bumpers Distinguished Lecture Program sponsored by the Dale Bumpers College of Agricultural, Food and Life Sciences.
Students talking about Bumpers College
- Ray Dominguez, a senior from Bainbridge, Ga., an offensive guard for the Razorbacks, plans to put his degree in child development to work by establishing a youth center with a sports focus in his hometown.
- Lou Hirsch of Phoenix, Ariz., a Ph.D. student in plant pathology, conducts research on the fungal pathogen that causes gray leaf spot in corn in an effort to understand the genetic mechanism by which the fungus infects the plant.
- Benjamin Burk chose Bumpers College at the University of Arkansas to concentrate on agricultural systems technology management in the Agricultural Education, Communications and Technology major.
- Bryan Kennedy of Collierville, Tenn., talks about his major of Crop Management with a Pest Management minor and his research on weed control in switchgrass.
- Lacie Coburn of Los Angeles tells about her major in Food, Human Nutrition and Hospitality with a concentration in hospitality and restaurant management, including her study abroad experience in Italy.
- Meghan Ness speaks about her Agricultural Business major, her internship abroad and her career goals.
- Clay Sasfai of Benton talks about his major in Apparel Studies.
- Danilo Tchoupe talks about his undergraduate research and the opportunities that brought him from his home in Cameroon to the University of Arkansas to study Horticulture in Bumpers College.
- Food science graduate student Jordan Teeple talks about her research on the effects of various foods on prevention of bone loss in postmenopausal women.
- Jessica Hartshorn, entomology graduate student, talks about her research in forest entomology and the insect she collected that is a species not previously recorded in Arkansas.
- Kris Bunnell talks about his doctoral research project in Biological and Agricultural Engineering.
- Weston Cox , a freshman majoring in agricultural business and a kicker on the Razorbacks football team, talks about his major and career opportunities.
- Bryant Baker talks about his Student Undergrad Research Followship project. His major is Environmental, Soil, and Water Science at Bumpers College, University of Arkansas.
- Heath Stephens is a non-traditional student in the Foods, Human Nutrition and Hospitality major in Bumpers College at the University of Arkansas.
- Whitney Harmon talking about her major in Apparel Studies at School of Human Environmental Sciences, University of Arkansas.
- Seth Murdoch talking about his major in Food, Human Nutrition and Hospitality with concentration in Dietetics.
- Daniel Keeton talking about his major in Animal Science at Bumpers College in University of Arkansas.
- Famous Yang talking about his major in Poultry Science and Food Science.
- Jordan Garcia talks about why he attends Bumpers College.
- Easton Evans talking about his major in Poultry Science at Bumpers College, University of Arkansas.
- Zoe Teague talking about her major in Environmental, Soil, and Water Science at Bumpers College, University of Arkansas.
- Megan Crudup , a senior Agricultural, Communication and Technology Major, with a concentration in Agricultural Communications.
- Kayla Boling talks about why she attends the University of Arkansas.
Nathan Tompkins - Horticulture, Landscape, and Turf Sciences Major
Talks about how his participation in a student organization and internships are a benefit to his horticulture studies and career goals in turfgrass management.
Katie Waldrip - Hospitality and Restaurant Management
Talks about how her involvement in Registered Student Organizations (student clubs, etc.) help her connect in student life and benefit her major studies.
Bumpers College Departmental Videos
- Horse Festival 2011
Stephanie McKenna, grad student in Agricultural Extension Education and Michael Mann, a senior Animal Science Major narrate a video about the Dorothy E. King Equine Program's 2011 Horse Festival.
- Celebrating the Dale Bumpers Legacy
An observance of the fifteenth anniversary of the naming of Dale Bumpers College of Agricultural, Food and Life Sciences on April 14.
- 'A Class Act' Raises Funds for Hospitality Program
Students in the Hospitality and Restaurant Management program took over the 1886 Crescent Hotel in Eureka Springs for "A Class Act" event.
- Bumpers College Ambassadors' Cookie Break
A short interview with Bumpers College students during the Ambassadors' Cookie Break on the second floor of the Agriculture Building.
- Livestock Judging Team
UA Livestock Judging Team places third at Southwestern, second at Dixie National.
- Scholarship Luncheon-FLV
Bumpers Colleges students talk about their majors, college experiences and the scholarships that help make them possible.