Profile of Bumpers College
Bumpers College offers 12 diverse majors for student interested in plants, animals, food, the natural environment and the human environment.
The top of "the Hill," as the U of A campus is also known, belongs to Bumpers College.
- The top of "the Hill," as the U of A campus is also known, belongs to Bumpers College. Our Horticulture Display Gardens and Rosen Center greenhouses, which are just north of the Human Environmental Sciences Building, are at the highest elevation on campus, about 1,465 feet above sea level. The Hill is actually named University Heights.
- Teaching and research in agriculture were mandated by the Morrill Land Grant College Act, under which the University of Arkansas was founded in 1871. The College of Agriculture was established in 1905 to organize agriculture courses into seven departments.
- 1,604 students were enrolled in the fall of 2006, including 1,317 undergraduates and 287 graduate students pursuing M.S. and Ph.D. degrees.
- Bumpers College is known for its friendly, family-like atmosphere.
- Majors and related minors are provided by 9 academic departments and the School of Human Environmental Sciences.
- Popular options and minors include Equine Science, Pre-Veterinary Medicine, Pre-Law, Hospitality and Restaurant Management, Global Studies in Agricultural, Food and Life Sciences and Wildlife Habitat.
- All academic programs are nationally accredited.
- Our Poultry Science program is one of the top three in the nation.
- Faculty members, not teaching assistants, teach all courses in the College.
- Excellence in student advising and mentoring by faculty members is recognized as a key to helping students succeed.
- Bumpers College has among the highest student retention and graduation rates at the U of A.
- The College has a scholarship endowment of $15 million and offers nearly 500 scholarships annually in addition to those available from the U of A and other sources.
- All classrooms and student labs have been or will be equipped as "smart classrooms" with the latest computer-assisted learning tools.
- The Bumpers College International Programs provides study-abroad experiences tailored to the student's needs and desires.
- The Bumpers College Honors Program provides unique opportunities to enrich your University of Arkansas experience.
- Students can publish results of research and creative projects in the Discovery journal published by the College.
- Each major has an active student club and many have student teams that compete with other major universities.
- The Arkansas Agricultural Research and Extension Center provides unique resources for courses and student projects involving plants, animals, food and the environment.
Recent recognition of the University of Arkansas includes…
- One of America's Best College Buys. - Institutional Research and Education, Inc
- No. 3 in SEC for academics, behind only Vanderbilt and Florida. - The Princeton Review
- Top 45 public universities for quality and cost of education. - Kiplinger's Personal Finance
- Fayetteville is One of 40 Best College Towns. - Outside magazine